News:

Insert expletive here!

Main Menu

Book Club Study

Started by Vortex7, June 22, 2017, 11:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moon1ight

Thanks to Jay and Branch for an informative and pleasant session  :) 

For everyone else: next one or two sessions we finish with Branch's "Mysticism, Initiation and Dream" by Chumbley. We're already halfway through, but you can still join, since it's a really short book. Only 50 pages of text.

After that, I suggested Chapman's "The Camel Rides Again" -- https://archive.org/details/the_camel_rides_again__a_primer_in_magick which contains some quite interesting views on magic, it's praxis and it's purposes  8)  And it's also quite a quick read.

We meet at the same time, next saturday, 8th July :)
"The Assault on Reality lives in you.
This is what you were born to do." -Ahavah Ain Soph

"As far as what I think the DKMU is? It's a promise to never stop fighting against mundanity, to always be injecting the weird into the world" - Timothy Buell

"Put in the work! :)" - Geri

JayONI

I'm going over the PDF again now I have not looked at it since last week been to busy. I do like that it is a short book I should be able to breeze threw it for review tonight.

[Edit by Moon1ight - You had font size 2px :) ]

Moon1ight

Nice to hear :) Then see you later. No news from Branch so far, as far as I can tell.

"As far as what I think the DKMU is? It's a promise to never stop fighting against mundanity, to always be injecting the weird into the world" - Timothy Buell

Moon1ight

So, by the power of IRC, the Book Club is revived.

We will read https://archive.org/details/the_camel_rides_again__a_primer_in_magick :) (it can be downloaded for free there or read in the browser)

I think we should read at least 28 pages, finish chapter 4, to discuss his ideas about how to do magick. But really, It's a very short book :D We can probably read in live in two sessions.

The time is as it was: 12.00 (pm) (i.e. noon) Pacific Time on Saturday. This corresponds to 15.00 (3 pm) EDT (New York) and 21.00 (9pm) CET (Central Europe). https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?qm=1&lid=2912621,8,5128581&h=2912621&date=2017-12-3&sln=21-22

We'll meet in the normal irc I guess, i.e. #domus. And then go to where we all have access, I guess Skype, Discord or Hangouts.

Everyone is welcome, of course :) And so are suggestions for other times and other books

Edit for Clarity:
The Date is Saturday 9.12. at 12.00 (pm) (i.e. noon) Pacific Time /15.00 (3 pm) EDT (New York) / 21.00 (9pm) CET (Central Europe).

Dalabrac

Missed today's session due to lack of follow through on my part, but I've read the book and would love to jump in next time. I'm typically free mondays and tuesdays and Sunday afternoons (-5hr GMT). I have a couple hours (2-4pm my time) on saturdays between shifts if the meeting doesn't run much over an hour or so.
It's not the right time to be sober,
'Cause now the idiots have taken over.

Emasculate The Proletariat

discobiscuit252

I'm ready to go over the book whenever. Ill make sure my schedule is cleared for any times I see listed here.

Moon1ight

Okay, so let's try sunday  :)

https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?qm=1&lid=2879139,8,5&h=2879139&date=2017-12-10&sln=20-21 (this link shows the wrong date! But the times are correct and you can add your own timezone for convenient conversion)

The date is Sunday, 17.12.17 at 14 (2 pm) EST (GMT-5), 11 (am) PST (GMT-8) and 20 (8pm) CET (GMT+1)

I hope that qualifies as Afternoon, Dalbarac -- I can't do much later since this is already 8pm and I want to get up at 5.30 the next day ;D The topic remains the same for now, though you're welcome to suggest other texts :)

thief_and_a_liar

Next book we can read is

The Holy
Guardian Angel
A comprehensive and thorough review of the `Holy Guardian Angel' and
the attainment of the `Knowledge and Conversation of' it as those
concepts are described in the published prose works of Aleister Crowley.
by
Erwin Hessle
March 7, 2010 e.v.
Sun in 17 Pisces, Anno IVxvii

40 pages

Moon1ight

Wow, thanks Thief!  :) That sounds amazing. The author has a blogpost about the text here http://www.erwinhessle.com/blog/?p=472 where he also gives a free pdf-Link to the essay :)

I aways wanted to know if that is actually a concept worth taking seriously or not ;) So I guess we'll find out soon.