News:

Insert expletive here!

Main Menu

Shared Universe Meta-Fiction

Started by Maelhavok, November 08, 2017, 06:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelhavok

Arianna put up a post in the main group that touches something I've been thinking about for a LONG time:

"I think all those of us who are/have been somehow involved in the writing /publishing industries should start churning out books (esp. Children's books), both in English and our languages, where characters use magical systems that can work in this world
Same goes for other media ofc"

One way we can start making some serious strides into making the world a more Magickal place is by creative use of fiction. Basically start spreading Magickal ideas and concepts through fictional works, ideally, through YA fiction. Inspire their minds to be more creative , to be more Magickal.

I'd like to start a discussion on creating a "shared universe" with multiple tie-ins and reference points within all the works that give as many rabbit holes as we can towards more Magickal thought.

One thing I have considered, however, and this is HARD for me as a Marauder, is that if this is going to work, it has to be done with subtlety. We can't bludgeon kids over the head with an Ellisean mallet. We have to provide clues, not neon signs.

Anyway, I figured we could discuss various ins and outs here. If we get it into it on Facebook, the whole thing will be TOO transparent and obvious.
"Wind, fire, that kind of thing..."

Robert Solvec

I like this idea, not just for encouraging magickal thinking but removing the dull and bland flavor from popular culture.  I feel that when done correctly, a good story (along with character design) can help people intuitively explore their own potentials.

"One thing I have considered, however, and this is HARD for me as a Marauder, is that if this is going to work, it has to be done with subtlety. We can't bludgeon kids over the head with an Ellisean mallet.  We have to provide clues, not neon signs. "

Something I've thought about often too, occult paradigms can be really volatile to "normie/muggle" types, and they are quick to pass them off as fantasy or baseless.  I feel 'expression' is an art in itself, or finding ways to catalyze states of thinking in people without blatantly serving them platitudes from popular chaos magic books or rules of thumb in witchcraft, and then expect them to see the same wisdom that a practitioner might.  The art of knowing the lens they see through, and how to bend the light shining through it enough to make the symbolism visible.  There probably isn't one cartoon or story that's gonna completely wake someone out of greyface thinking, but there's probably a way to peel the layers by understanding what they are willing to accept and sequencing it appropriately to help lead them there.