News:

Insert expletive here!

Main Menu

Cyber Magic

Started by thief_and_a_liar, October 22, 2013, 12:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waetamer

Quote from: Rasafar on July 25, 2016, 04:22:40 PM
Not sure if necro-ing a thread is a big deal here at this stage in the game, but hoping to reinvigorate ideas others may have regarding possibilities.

The information model, and computer simulation models of reality I find to be extremely useful in helping organize possible break-points for taking this a step further, magical coding, hacking, data transmission, etc.

I hold the loose viewpoint that perhaps what we are working with when working with "reality" is a holographic projection, rendered by those conscious beings throughout the cosmos (perhaps consciousness taking on a more pantheistic station, where it permeates it). Overall, however, we render according to what our hardware will translate for us...light, sound, taste, texture, etc. Meanwhile, the number-crunching goes on in the background, at a much lower-functioning level. To me, what ritual seems to do, is basically be accomplishing magical workings with a few different avenues of execution:

1) We ask a super-user or admin for help/assistance to accomplish a task...the IT guy near your cube cuts you some slack if you bring him a box of donuts...the sysadmin puts a ticket through to install new software on your machine, etc.

2) We are the super-user...but maybe don't know it...forgotten password, whathaveyou...attaining higher levels of power as we progress through super-user, admin, god-tier authorities.

3) We "hack" the system in one of two ways: Software and hardware. Software/hardware can be by addressing tabboos, shadow-work, killing psychic/karmic zombie processes...and ritual magick...aka buffer-overflow.

Standard ritual magic seems to employ one of these three methods, often times in combination. Chaos magic seems to focus on the third, imo (although entities may be involved etc.). At its base, magical regalia, ephemera, etc. all seem to set the stage for overloading the senses, allowing the will to be driven down into the subconscious (processor level) where our extraneous code is run (the visualized and energized sigil after the attainment of gnosis).

I only carry on about it because I feel there's a great deal of crossover in theory that could be applied to both sides of technology and magickal technology which seems to benefit both. Using a computer-information model in magic could help construct more clearly defined spells, more akin to magickal programs, that when run will perform a certain set of actions.

Going over to the technological side of things, I've had thoughts on the creation of magical sigils which act as logic gates, chips, data-transmisison (wired, wireless, psychic, whathave you), into the possibilities of a similar vein as what Homer was discussing. Magical circuit boards.

Another way of looking at it could be the way Terence McKenna discusses the Alchemists view of their work, as an externalization of internal processes which when modified, also modify the user. Wearable sigils with joule-thiefs and/or small caps charging batteries, solar powered, etc.

Yet another attempt could be a way to harness the magical power of classical domains (elements, planets, etc) via a specialized code or library for whatever language an individual chooses....literally an m-code. Really it wouldn't be much more than data points...alignments/positions of planets, temperatures, fluctuations in seasons, etc. all easily sourceable from various places online from satellites, geometric and weather patterns, observatories, etc.

Especially considering we already have a magical network, and various workings and nodes throughout, we already have an informational model that seems to work well as-is. Many of use, even the most remote of connected to the network (not just the fleshcrafted) have experienced info transmission via Ellis direction or gotten hints, dreams, summons, or other information about goings on away from our physical locales, but not unlike any internet messaging system (whether it's IRC, phpBB, VoIP, etc.).

I would love to see what other ideas we could come up with. Throw in some orgone generators/devices? Create standardized protocols for encrypted communications? Intelligent energy distribution? Add an end-user magician at the terminal and there's no real limit immediately apparent.

I very much enjoyed the thoughts shared here and I am going to apply this, somehow.
Gnothyself